Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Burton's Art Retrospective in Melbourne


Tim Burton made his first public appearance in Melbourne, arriving in preparation for the coming of his massive art retrospective at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI).

In a sold-out session of 400 eager fans, Burton said what some of his favorite movies were, and the ones he would take if he was lost on a desert island. These included Dracula AD 1972 and the original Wicker Man

''I wouldn't know a 'good' movie if it bit me in the face,'' Burton said. ''I don't seek these films out, but they're the ones I watch over and over again when they're on. Some people might say that's why I've made some bad movies - because I watch so many 'bad' movies.''

Burton will be staying in Melbourne for five days. On Thursday, he will be teaching a filmmaking masterclass, and will be screening his first feature film,Pee-wee's Big Adventure, on Friday. The sessions are already sold-out, of course.

The tremendous art exhibition at ACMI was originally curated by the Museum of Modern Art in New York, but comes to Melbourne with a significant proportion of new material mostly from Alice in Wonderland. The Burton retrospective runs until October 10.

Visit the official ACMI website for more information.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

does anyone know if this exhibit will be coming to or around england? :)

Fuzzy Duck said...

Anonymous: The next stop is Toronto. I have read that there will be four destinations for the Tim Burton retrospective, but a fourth one has not been announced yet. So no news on England at this time, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

-faints
Im going ;D

Im kinda sad that I couldnt go while he was there because of timing and such. Its going to be great!

Leah said...

Nooooo! I missed out on meeting Tim!!! D:

deadhearts666 said...

That's so awesome, I wish I could go. :c

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous #2 and Leah: I too am kinda bummed I didn't get to go when he was there, but I know some day I'll meet him! haha, but I am glad I do get to go to the exhibition on July 20.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm lucky enough to be in Australia but I was wondering if the gallery is possibly coming to QLD or Western Aust??

Fuzzy Duck said...

Anonymous: The exhibition will not be moving to Queensland or Western Australia. It will be staying AMCI.