Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Paul Reubens on New "Pee-wee" Movie, Elfman's Music


Paul Reubens -- better known as "Pee-wee Herman" -- has revealed that his new Pee-wee movie is ready to begin casting. The new film will be produced by Judd Apatow (The Forty-Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up).

“We just did a very, very quick lean and mean rewrite of it and we have a meeting with Judd Apatow this coming week, five days from now [as of Saturday],” Reubens said. “I’m hoping we’re going into production soon after that. We’ve been sort of toying with talking a little bit about casting already so I’m excited to just be able to make a couple phone calls and ask people if they’d be in it.”

“It’s a character I’ve always loved so I can’t wait to put the shoes back on and get that suit back on very soon and do this movie that I love,” Reubens said. “It has such a funny script and such a weird twist to it all. There’s some really good detail to it.”

Reubens also expressed interest in having Danny Elfman compose the score, as he did for Tim Burton's Pee-wee's Big Adventure and its follow-up movie, Big Top Pee-wee. Elfman also composed some music for the acclaimed television series, Pee-wee's Playhouse.

“I shouldn’t say this because I haven’t talked to him about it. We talked recently but we haven’t talked about that for a long time. Also I’ve never made a movie with Judd so I don't know what Judd music-wise how he would feel, although I can’t imagine that Judd would be, ‘Danny? No.’ But Danny, I feel like we have an unspoken sort like ‘I’m I’m making a Pee Wee movie, you’re doing the music. Don’t make me point out that I started your career, okay?’ [Joking] That kind of thing. The answer is yes. I love Danny. Both scores that he’s done for me I think are incredibly overlooked. He should have been nominated for the first one I think although as you probably know it’s Nino Rota’s score to 8 ½ really. Most people don’t know that.”

No release date is set for the new film yet.

No comments: